These bearings have certain advantages over the rolling contact bearings:
1. The design of the bearing and housing is simple.
2. They occupy less radial space and are more compact.
3. They cost less.
4. The design of shaft is simple.
5. They operate more silently.
6. They have good shock load capacity.
7. They are ideally suited for medium and high speed operation.
The disadvantages are:
1. The frictional power loss is more.
2. They required good attention to lubrication.
3. They are normally designed to carry radial load or axial load only